- Essays should be written in response to only ONE of the topics outlined on our Guidelines page on Submittable.com. Essays should reference Anne Frank’s The Diary of a Young Girl and/or Tales from the Secret Annex, which you can obtain at your local library or through our bookstore.
- All essays must be between 500 and 700 words and must be original and unpublished work.
- Essays must be typed, double-spaced, using a 12-point font and 1-inch margins.
- All essays must have a title. The title should be included at the top of your essay and should be the file name of your PDF document.
- All essays must be saved as a PDF and uploaded using the form below.
- Essays will ONLY be accepted online via Submittable. The Anne Frank Center USA WILL NOT accept essays via mail or email.
- You and your parent must sign and upload the Terms and Conditions Agreement Form. This form must be uploaded to your online application as a separate document from your essay.
- The PDF of your essay must be a blind submission. DO NOT put your name or contact information anywhere on the essay. DO NOT use your name as part of the PDF file name.
Terms and Conditions:
- The contest is only open to students enrolled in grades 5, 6, 7, or 8, as of September 2015.
- The winner will be selected at the sole discretion of The Anne Frank Center USA.
- The winner will be notified in January 2016.
- All or part of the winner’s essay may be posted online and/or shared via social media. By submitting essays, contest entrants and their parents/legal guardians grant permission for The Anne Frank Center USA to post their essays (or portions of these essays) on the internet. The winner will also sign a release and agree to provide photographs of her/ his trip that may be used in print and social media by The Anne Frank Center and KLM.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive, courtesy of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, 3 round trip economy class tickets to Amsterdam on a KLM operated flight from a KLM USA gateway city, as well as 3 evenings at the DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station, courtesy of the hotel. At least one person traveling with the winner must be 21 or over and be a parent, legal guardian or person authorized by a parent or legal guardian. Travel dates and private tour of the Anne Frank House will be at the discretion of KLM, the Anne Frank House, and DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply; all details will be provided to the winner.
 In 2015, KLM gateways are Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington, DC.